David is the host of Join Up Dots, a daily podcast produced in
the UK. The one simple mission of Join Up Dots is to help us all
believe that the future can be whatever we want it to be.
In this episode we talk with David about the transition from
employee to podcaster and the monetization plans for his business,
including his new podcasting platform, Podcaster’s Mastery.
- David, a believer in the “side hustle” as a way to transition
from employee to entrepreneur, had been working on various online
platforms 6 years before he finally quit his job. He initially quit
his job to become a web developer, but soon became bored with
- David became inspired to podcast after listening to John Lee
Dumas and Michael O’Neal.
- As David has been growing his podcast, at various times he has
taken a part-time job and coached/mentored others to compensate for
the drop in his income.
- One key thing that David has learned since launching his
business is that it doesn’t take a large number of customers to
make a living from a entrepreneurial venture ($500 product sold to
200 of the 7 billion people on the plant = $100,000).
- David’s original monetization strategy for his podcast was
focused around advertisers, however, he is now concentrating his
efforts on creating and launching a platform to teach others how to
- David’s tips for bootstrappers:
- “Slide”, don’t “Leap” into your entrepreneurial venture. Put up
with your job while you “upskill” yourself.
- Be selective in terms of who you share your dreams with.